Sunday, June 21, 2009

5/19/2009 Wedding Dress update #8

dressonchair.JPG


 


This is now how my dress has to live. I joined the skirt and petticoat with the bodice and the dress is so heavy it pulls on my dressform and I'm afraid the dress will lose it's shape. So, until I put the hanging loops in, my dress is just draped over my chair. It really is gorgeous, though. The skirt isn't quite as full as the muslin because it's so heavy that it flattens the petticoat a little. But, when I put the horsehair braid in the hem it should get a little fuller. I can't wait to get it hemmed and start putting the trim on the hem of the skirt overlay.


 


I also installed the zipper, snaps and buttons. The zipper is off-center and is the real, functional closure. The buttons are along the center back, and the snaps are in the overlap to keep stress off of the buttons. However the snap right at the waist line seam may not work out. I'll probably replace it with a hook and eye because it's so thick and heavy at that point that the snap won't stay snapped.


 


backbuttons.JPG


 


Next, I inserted the bodice lining. The whole lining was already stitched together, I just had to put it in place. I had also stitched in my label and added machine buttonhole-type openings for the waist stay. Then, the entire lining (all 4 sides) is stitched in by hand. I love the clean finish of a hand-stitched lining. No one but the people that help you dress and undress ever see it, but I think it's very decadent to have a nice lining in any dress. I didn't line the skirt because the net from the petticoat doesn't bother my legs, and I feel like there is enough weight in the skirt with the interlining.


 


lining.JPG


 


I know it doesn't really seem like lots of progress for a whole weekend's worth of sewing, but it really is. I feel like I have a dress now.

No comments:

Post a Comment