I just couldn't wait any longer, I made my gingerbread house this weekend! A couple years ago I got the John Wright gingerbread house cast iron mold for Christmas. One side of the mold makes a traditional log cabin style house, and the other side makes a Victorian house. But I never got a chance to use it because my cute little mama kept getting me those neato complete kits.
This year I finally told her that I want to use my mold. I decided I would make the traditional log cabin style house for my first time using the mold. I went to Dollar Tree and found all kinds of gingerbread house candies and I planned out how to make candy windows with a real light inside. But I ran into all kinds of challenges. In the middle of actually baking the pieces we found that we had a pond in our backyard because the sprinkler system had a major leak (for a couple days). Then, I tried to make candy windows and I completely did it wrong. So the sides of my gingerbread house actually have melted candy all over them. So I piped lots of icing on the walls to cover it. Then when I tried to assemble the house both side walls fell and smooshed my pretty icing job! I finally got the house together and the roof on and I realized that I bought enough candy to make at least 30 more gingerbread houses! Wow, did I learn a lot!
But, the house is cute, I really like the roof and the chimney. And you all know how I love a challenge. I can't wait for next year's house. I have lots of gingerbread house type candies in the freezer and now I know how to install candy window panes. :)
Here's another picture with the lights on.

No comments:
Post a Comment