Tuesday, December 9, 2008

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas


tree08.JPGfrankrobotclowntree08.JPG


Last weekend we put up all of our Christmas decor. Once again I pulled out the junky $15 WalMart tree and thought that maybe it was time to replace it. But once all the lights, garland and ornaments are on it, it looks pretty good. You can see Michael's custom robot stocking that I made for him last year, and our tree skirt that doesn't actually go all the way around because apparently I forgot how to do simple geometry. We even saved the Christmas slug last year and it went up in the window again this year. I love all of our silly Christmas decorations, even our weird, mismatched nativity set. This year Michael added an angel. No manger scene is complete without a Lego Spock angel.


 


nativity08.JPG


 


I also put up the Christmas decorations at work. When I moved over to the big building almost 7 years ago, I found lots of strange stuff thrown in the darkroom. There was a fluorescent pink little kid's BMX bike, a ceramic jack-o-lantern, about 15 ancient computers and monitors, and a box of Christmas decorations among other non-biology lab related things. So I started using the Christmas decorations. There was a little tiny table top tree with lights that blink amazingly slow and funny Styrofoam decorations, lots of fake plastic holly candle rings that I think someone was using as wreaths, little rocks painted like christmassy animals, and two of those old fuzzy felt stockings from the 80's that have Santa screen printed on them. I used to tape the stockings to the fume hood like it was a chimney, but I don't do that any more. Now I just put the little tree on top of my balance with the rock animals sleeping underneath it. A couple years back a work-study student made a star for the top of the tree with a piece of construction paper and a wooden applicator. Everyone that comes into my lab loves the silly little tree and asks who painted the rock animals. Christmas time in the lab is fun.


 


worktree08.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment