Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sewing Tiny Things

And my final weekend project is a couple of wrap onesies for my little guy. I found a really great tutorial for a wrap onesie at Nefertari Creations. I was looking for something that wouldn't irritate his healing belly button when we brought him home. I love that her design criss-crosses, but still snaps at the crotch. She is very fortunate to have a cover stitch machine that gives a professional finish on the edge binding. But I found another great onesie tutorial from Naomi at Omi Creates that uses a very simple zig-zag stitch to create beautiful binding. So I used her technique on all the binding.


This first one was really just a trial run, so I used the selvage of the fabric to make the binding, since I didn't have any other knit. And I learned that I made the binding too narrow for the snaps to fit. But, it's still pretty cute! I really wanted to make him something with the fold over mitten cuffs and attached booties. Because I've been getting lots of good advice from experienced Mamas and I'm hearing that infants constantly kick off their socks and scratch themselves with their new finger nails. (Thanks Mama Kelly!) So, I altered the wrap onesie pattern to have longs legs with booties, and I used the sleeves with mitten cuffs that I found from yet another great baby tutorial created by Jessica at Running With Scissors. Not only she offers a great tutorial for sleep sacks, but she also had the genius idea to use old T-shirts for the solid knit portion of the pajamas and the binding!


This is what I plan to bring Korben home from the hospital in. I just have no idea if it'll fit him! LOL! So, I'll bring a couple other cute outfits that people have given him just in case...

1 comment:

  1. I love the little onesie shan! I made an absolutely adorable little onesie from a Burda magazine pattern a while back. It came out crummy with my first try, but it was still cute, lol :)

    ReplyDelete