Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmastime

Most of my supplies for extra curricular activities are in storage while we're in the condo including my gingerbread house cookie mold. So this year I decided to do it the old-fashioned way and design and build a gingerbread house from scratch. I used a recipe I found online and cut out the pieces based on a paper pattern I drafted.

I won't use that gingerbread recipe again, the one that came with my cookie mold is much better. The pieces weren't as strong as I like and they warped A LOT! But I trudged on. The over-hang on the roof was a little lacking and the front of the house was far from straight.

I did use the royal icing recipe that I always use. And, once it's covered with icing and candy, the house doesn't look too bad. I also bought a box of Pepperidge Farm ginger family cookies and stuck them in the front yard. They're cute, but there is no way they'll fit in their house. :)

We also got the tree out of storage and crammed it in to our tiny little living room. I'm so happy with how our new tree skirt turned out! I LOVE the Alexander Henry Yuletide 2D Zoo fabric I ordered from Etsy. It's the perfect combination of traditional Christmas and whimsy. Plus it doesn't smell like cat pee!


No comments:

Post a Comment