Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Four Little Cult Robes

All four cult robes are done for the shoot on Saturday! I finished the last one last night. I'm really very proud of these! I felt really good about putting my Boo Couture label on each robe. These are truly originals. Michael designed the style and look of them and I constructed them. We decided to simplify his concept a bit in the interest of saving a little money. We decided that super suede would be the best fabric choice to really give these robes the right body. At $7.98/yard, and almost 4 yards per robe we were looking at a pretty pricey set of cult robes. But I really think it was worth it. They look great.
For me, as a costumer, this is a huge accomplishment. I rely heavily on commercial patterns and sometimes use them as a crutch. I'm not confident in my drafting skills to just make things without measurements and markings created by "the big 4". But I did it this time! I used no patterns and these were constructed solely based on Michael's design sketch.
I thing making them sleeveless was a great idea. It gives them just a touch of Asian inspiration. The white stitching on the hood hem makes them look a little primitive and I think the raw rope belt will really tie the whole look together. (HAHA!)
The pointy hood is so sinister!

4 comments:

  1. Those turned out so awesome baby...you are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks honey! I can't wait for Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are awesome shan! you know, that dress ellie was wearing to the baby shower...that was a kimbra original. No pattern, and it's so scary. I think you get to a point where you've worked with so many patterns, you know exactly how to make your own! lol!
    Good job and here's to many more originals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimbra! That dress was adorable! I can Frankenstein two patterns together, but I'm still too scared to make originals! You're so brave!

    ReplyDelete